Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Re: Network Description Files for GLIF
From Freek Dijkstra <fdijkstr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:11:38 +0200

Hello Steven,

Some suggestions about using other DNS record types.

You wrote (in June) about the DNS specs:

Here's the idea:

all.network-map.net. TXT "us-uk-nl-ca"
FQDN   TXT record showing what country codes contain network map data

all.us.network-map.net. TXT "IN-OH-FL"
FQDN TXT record showing what states (in the US) have network map data

all.oh.us.network-map.net. TXT "TFN"
FQDN TXT record showing the name of network(s) in Ohio

Though I personally still think this idea is misusing of DNS (I'm aware you're the only one using), I think you really have impressive results. Especially the picture is really very nice.

I think from a technical viewpoint you can improve this. In the Service Discovery effort (those who implemented SRV -service- records), there have been ideas how to point to other records. They solve this using PTR records. For example, your example would look like:

> network-map.net. PTR  us
> network-map.net. PTR  uk
> network-map.net. PTR  nl
> network-map.net. PTR  ca
> FQDN   PTR record showing what country codes contain network map data
>
> us.network-map.net. PTR  in
> us.network-map.net. TXT  oh
> us.network-map.net. TXT  fl
> FQDN PTR record showing what states (in the US) have network map data
>
> us.network-map.net. PTR  TFN
> FQDN PTR record showing the name of network(s) in Ohio

Note that a entry can have multiple PTR and TXT records. So even if you would use TXT records, I recommend using multiple ones, e.g.:
> network-map.net. TXT "us"
> network-map.net. TXT "uk"
> network-map.net. TXT "nl"
> network-map.net. TXT "ca"

In addition, there is still work going on regarding avoiding DNS cache problems. For example, there are proposals for mechanism to not fetch information from DNS, but get it pushed to you. I recommend http://www.dns-sd.org/ (DNS service discovery) as a starting point.

Regards,
Freek Dijkstra