Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Re: Network Description Files for GLIF
From "Steven S. Wallace" <ssw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:48:51 -0500

Here's something I'm working to address similar needs for the Quilt. I think this could scale internationally.

Here's the idea:

all.network-map.net. TXT "us-uk-nl-ca"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FQDN   TXT record showing what country codes contain network map data

all.us.network-map.net. TXT "IN-OH-FL"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FQDN TXT record showing what states (in the US) have network map data

all.oh.us.network-map.net. TXT "TFN"
FQDN TXT record showing the name of network(s) in Ohio

00001.TFN.oh.us.network-map.net TXT  "Link=Columbus, OH-Cincinnati, OH"
00001.TFN.oh.us.network-map.net TXT  "Status=Existing"

00002.TFN.oh.us.network-map.net TXT   "Link=Columbus, OH-Chicago, IL"
00002.TFN.oh.us.network-map.net TXT   "Status=Existing"

These are records that specify the network segment endpoints and the segment's status. An application would fetch sequential records until it hit the last one. In this example OARnet (they run the TFN) would be delegated authority for TFN.oh.us.network-map.net.

Each RON would simply maintain their own delegation (zone file). My lab would make an application available that walked the DNS data and constructed a map. Since there may be multiple TXT records for a given FQDN, we could a small set of attributes for each link.

What do you all think?

Steven