Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Re: Terminology discussion
From "Leon Gommans" <lgommans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:13:45 +0200 (CEST)

Freek,

We started out the discussion with the term "GLIF resource".
Let's go back to this term for a moment.

The term "GLIF resource" can be considered from an almost infinite
amount of viewpoints. This fact, imho, causes a lot of confusion.
As this is a human thing, everybody will use his or her own set of
viewpoints to consider a definition of a term.

I made the remark during the discussion to add the term "physical"
in an effort to confine the definion towards a tangible entity
that interconnects two points. What a realy wanted  to say is:
consider the GLIF resource definition from a particular viewpoint.
The additional term "physical" may refer to an "engineering"
viewpoint which, focuses on the deployment aspects.
E.g. a physical GLIF resource may be deployed between two GOLE's.

One may also consider the "technology" viewpoint where you focus on
specific technologies, both hardware and software, which will be
used to implement a  GLIF resource (SONET/WDM/DWDM/Ethernet
UCLP/DRAC/GMPLS etc etc.).

Both viewpoints are sort of borrowed from the ODP model. The ODP
model also considers the "enterprise" viewpoint, from which I loosely
derive below viewpoints:

One consider a GLIF resource from the economic viewpoint. Here it
would point at the ablility to obtain the use of a link as an
economicaly scarse good

One could look at a GLIF resource from the legal viewpoint, where a
legal entity can make rules that govern the usage.

Other viewpoints may be administrative, functional, security etc. etc.

Important to note is that each viewpoint uses a viewpoint language to
develop a viewpoint specification.

IMHO it would be useful to first identify a number of viewpoints
which we think are useful and pragmatic to consider one or more
defintions of a GLIF resource.

Regards .. Leon.