Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Re: Network Description Files for GLIF
From Gigi Karmous-Edwards <gigi@xxxxxxxx>
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2005 07:26:45 -0400

Dear All,

I think this is a very important subject and holds the key to true
international network connectivity for NRENs. There seems to be several
excellent independent initiatives already around the world within the GLIF
community. I think the role of GLIF is one of coordination and
"standardization" for this global research community. As Kees Neggers
mentioned in an earlier email thread (which I will forward to the control
plane list), this effort straddles both the GLIF Tech group and the GLIF
Control Plane group. I will work with the chairs of the Tech group to assure
a coordinated work plan for the two groups as we prepare for the September
meeting.

Again I feel the greatest challenge for us is to arrive at precise semantics
of all data/metadata fields to be held in the repository, so that
interpretation and perception of the information will not differ from one
network to the other, otherwise the data will be useless. Also, to architect
the repository so that it is continually expandable as networks and network
technology evolves. Lastly, some data may be more dynamic than others,
mechanisms for these updates is a critical consideration.

We look forward to hearing more on  these ideas, mechanisms, and experiences
from all on both mailing lists, as this will help in making the September
meeting very productive and speed up progress towards making this global
repository a reality.

I welcome all comments.

Kind regards,
Gigi

Gigi Karmous-Edwards
Principal Scientist
Advanced Technology Group
MCNC Grid Computing and Network Services
RTP , NC, USA
+ 1 919-248-4121
gigi@xxxxxxxx