Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Thank you for the opportunity to serve
From Gigi Karmous-Edwards <gkedward@xxxxxxxx>
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:59:14 -0400

Dear All,

I wanted to write a short note to thank all of you for giving me the opportunity to serve as a GLIF chair for over six years. I especially want to thank Kees Neggers for his leadership and vision for GLIF; you have been a source of inspiration to me. I would like to also thank Karel, Peter, and Kevin and others at Terena for the enormous amount of support and leadership they have provided the the chairs! And, of course special thanks to Erik-Jan and Lars Fischer for allowing me to co-chair the technical working group since 2005. It has been a true honor and as I mentioned on the last day of the GLIF meeting in Rio, a real career highlight to work with an amazing global community!

It has been an amazing journey to watch the GLIF community grow and accomplish so many great achievements. I spoke to most of you personally to explain why I felt it was important for me to step down from my role as co-chair of the GLIF, while others I did not have a chance to. As most of you are aware, along with my continued research on optical control planes, I have started a small business in the fashion industry, designing and manufacturing handbags. Although I am passionate about both global optical communications (GLIF) and being an entrepreneur, I felt that it was unfair for me to hold the important position of co-chair without being 100% involved in the GLIF community. I felt that it was important for me to give someone who is 100 % involved with the GLIF community a chance to help lead the technical effort alongside Lars Fischer. I will definitely remain involved with this community in someway and will hopefully see many of you at future GLIF meetings.

I am very optimistic about the future of the GLIF. I am especially excited about some of the new task forces in the technical working group and their role in helping the GLIF expand beyond NRENs and GOLEs and into campus networking and end users. The GLIF community has already achieved a great deal in the past 10 years and I look forward to the next 10! Thank you again.

Kind regards,
Gigi