Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Open Source implementation of IEEE 802.1ag
From Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol@xxxxxxxx>
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:33:03 +0200

All,

At the GLIF technical meeting in Hong Kong in February this year
I presented a first alpha version of an open source implementation
of the IEEE 802.1ag (Ethernet OAM) protocol. The first fully functional
version is now available at:
http://nrg.sara.nl/dot1ag-utils

It runs on most popular Unix variants (FreeBSD, Linux, MacOSX, NetBSD).

There is ethping that pings to an Ethernet address (LBM), ethtrace
that traceroutes to an Ethernet address (LTM), and there is a dot1agd
daemon that replies to pings (LBR) and traces (LTR).

Finally, the dot1ag_ccd daemon implements the reachability features
in 802.1ag by sending and processing hello messages (CCM). The status
of other CCM initiators is logged via syslog.

Please see the website for some use cases.

We are testing the software on the GLIF HPDMnet between Chicago (iCAIR)
and Amsterdam (SARA).

Please send me email if you have further questions or subscribe to the
dot1ag-util mailing list via the website mentioned above.

	rvdp