Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Re: globally unique identifiers for lightpaths?
From Leon Gommans <lgommans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:40:09 +0100

Ronald,

Within our work with Internet2 we discussed the same issue. Essentially your need to refer to a "network session id" that needs to be created in a globally unique way. Each domain may have to take the initiative to create such an identifier. In our discussion with Internet2 we started to called it a Global Resource Identifier (GRI). This identifier essentially allows local domains to assign its resources to this GRI. The information related to local resources can was called a Local Resource Identifier (LRI). Each domain can use its own conventions here. The GRI was essentially build using a domain identifier and some number which each domain is free to choose as long as it is unique and adheres to some format constraints posed by the inter-domain signalling protocol. The random number you mentioned could be one way. One may start to think about domain-id's that some authority will issue and this might need discussion in the GLIF.

Regards .. Leon.