Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Consultation on GLIF Tech and Ctrl merger
From Erik-Jan Bos <erik-jan.bos@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:59:26 +0200

Dear members of the GLIF Tech and Ctrl WGs:

During the joint Tech and Ctrl meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii, Erik-Jan
outlined the differences between the Technical and Control Plane Working
Groups. The Technical Working Group has largely focused on current
operational issues, whilst the Control Plane is more focused on future
development. However, it has become clear there were increasing overlaps
between the groups, particularly as optical networks started to move
towards more dynamic provisioning.

It was therefore proposed that the two working groups should be merged,
with small sub-groups being formed if specific issues needed to be
worked-on. These smaller task groups would come and go, after their
mission is accomplished. In addition, break-out sessions could still be
organised during face-to-face meetings for those issues that were not of
interest to everyone.

Those present at the meeting in Honolulu agreed that the working groups
be merged, subject to ratification by the GLIF Governance Working Group.
It was suggested that Erik-Jan Bos and Gigi Karmous-Edwards remain as
co-chairs of the new group.

As name for the merged group we propose to use “GLIF Technical Resource
Management and Control Planes Working Group" or "GLIF Tech & Control WG"
for short. We are of course open for better ideas.

Through this message we hereby consult the community at large. We
propose that we put forward the working groups' merger proposal to the
GLIF Governance Working Group by April 20, 2008, in case no objections
are received. In case you do object, please send your objections
including reasons to Gigi and Erik-Jan, at your earliest convenience,
but not later than April 18, 2008 noon UTC.

Finally, the GLIF is a thrilling place to be part of. We both are
committed to serve as your co-chairs for the period to come, and look
forward to your continued participation!

Thank you and best regards,

__

Gigi Karmous-Edwards (MCNC) and Erik-Jan Bos (SURFnet).