Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Re: [GLIF controlplane] RE: Network Control Architecture
From Leon Gommans <lgommans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:08:01 +0200

Hi Admela,

Thanks for your reply.

No, SIP cannot replace RSVP, but both protocols can support a
token approach. I have to look into the protocol in more in detail
and discuss it with experts I know from the IETF to be more precise,
but I imagine it could be put somewhere in the session details of
an INVITE message or in its OPTIONS.

A token is a very generic term and must be defined within a context.
Within the context describe I have defined the token as the result of
securely hashed list of service attributes together with an index.
E.g. the token could be 4 bytes taken from the HMAC-SHA-1 of
(source IP, Dest. IP, session_ID) using a key that has been
assigned to the reservation. A certificate typically implies a certain
format (X.509) and some CA signing it. A token may have
different formats and the autority may not be a third party but
the receiving domain using some symmetric key.

An access point like a Wireless router, ADSL DSLAM or modem bank
uses a protocol such as RADIUS to call a RADIUS server (via one
or more proxy RADIUS servers) such that this server can verify the
users credentials. This is because it can not verify the validity
of the credentials locally. If it would have received a key from
this server beforehand because it expects the call to happen and this
call would contain a token, the callout would not need to happen as
the key will verify the users access right.

So in pre-provisioned networks, where the network expects calls to happen
in a certain time window according to a schedule, the token approach could
save the time the verification call-out would need, if subscribed and non
subscribed users are both able to access the connection and domains want to
be sure that connections are actually given to the correct users (so they can
not be repudiated).

Hope this helps,

Kind regards .. Leon.

Admela Jukan schreef:
Hi Leon

Interesting approach.

A few questions:
a) Are you saying SIP can replace RSVP?  (I am not sure about that.)
b) Is "token" equivalent of a "Certificate"?
c) What do you mean when you say " Non token approaches tend to use call-outs (e.g. RADIUS) that may take their time as well"?

Thanks, Admela