Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject RE: Network Control Architecture
From "Inder Monga" <imonga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:08:39 -0400

Dear Gigi and All,

I was not present at the last GLIF meeting and plan to remedy that going
forward. I apologize for maybe bringing up the same issues again, but
these are my initial reactions in looking at the slides:

A) I am surprised to see such a deep Grid flavor to the interfaces. I do
understand Grids are an important application of the GLIF network, but
can't GLIF define generic interfaces that can be used by non-grid
applications, management platforms, automated scripts? To choose this
path because OGF as a likely standardization body is not the right
reason. The defined generic interfaces need to fit into the "grid"
resource management model.

B) In examining the multi-domain proposal, it looks like the RB from one
domain can request access to resources directly from the specific RM of
the next domain without notifying the RB of the other domain? This model
does not appeal to me.
I am concerned about the case when resources are required across "n"
domains (say),  RBi (where i belongs to N) needs to access and request
resouces from xRMj where x = Network, Compute, Storage, Instrument and j
= 1 .. n, {n <=N} ? In this case, the RB needs to have knowledge of and
have access to (through firewalls) to all those RMs.

In the multi-domain model we have demonstrated (detailed document
attached) that having each domain manager manage the resources within
its own domain makes the best architecture. With that model you have the
advantage of having only ONE multi-domain resource request entry point
(and corresponding AAA policies).

I look forward to discussions on the mailing list.

Thanks,
Inder