Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Re: Network Control Architecture
From Gigi Karmous-Edwards <gigi@xxxxxxxx>
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:39:37 -0400

Hi Harvey,

How does MonAlisa compare with the effort of PerfSONAR (www.perfsonar.net).?

Gigi

Gigi Karmous-Edwards
Principal Scientist
Advanced Technology Group
http://www.mcnc.org
MCNC RTP, NC, USA
+1 919-248 -4121
gigi@xxxxxxxx

Harvey Newman wrote:

Hi,

We strongly recommend using MonALISA real-time, fully distributed services to do this. We need non-stop real-time operations that are proven to be robust and globally scalable, with no single point of failure. Also the intelligence in the agents both in the network and end-systems
allow us to understand what is going on, and take action end-to-end.
.
Hence our technology choices for US LHCNet and UltraLight.

Regards
Harvey

PS ML is currently monitoring and updating > 1M parameters at 340 sites.

Gigi Karmous-Edwards wrote:

Dear All,

At the last GLIF control plane meeting in Minneapolis (meeting minutes will be sent tomorrow to the list) we had several discussions on interoperability between the different networks. We drew a diagram on the white board with input from the participants. The outcome was an action item on me to send out a high level functional diagram on the framework for interoperability (sorry for the delay). We expanded the notion of network resource in the control plane working group to include other resources as well, such as compute, storage, instruments, etc.

Enclosed are three very high level slides discussing the framework and the high level functional components included in a "Resource Broker " and a "Network Resource Manager". Several of you in the meeting had comments on the interfaces we need to standardize. I propose we start with the "Grid Network Interface" GNI, first.

We also agreed to work with both the GLIF community and standard bodies like OGF to develop these interfaces. I look forward to your comments.

Kind regards,
Gigi