Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Re: Re: Some thoughts on policy and governance issues with respect to open lightpath exchange points
From Artur Barczyk <Artur.Barczyk@xxxxxxx>
Date Tue, 5 Apr 2011 22:20:15 +0200

Hi,

I haven't seen Jerry's original mail (was it sent to glif-all?), but
the ones followed up by Victor make already a very good set of
questions.
Here's my 2c for the discussion:

Indeed, "distributed exchange point" is an oxymoron :-)
"Distributed exchange" would be a better name, but apart from
that (c.f. below), since we had this discussion in the LHCONE
context, what is meant is an exchange with multiple nodes, where
the interconnecting links/trunks form an integral part of the
"exchange". Hence to the end-user, whether you connect in New York
or LA or Seattle, you can exchange traffic with the parties
connected to any node making up the "exchange". The tricky parts
of right-sizing etc. are of course to be dealt with properly by
the operator, but the theoretical concept is useful.
Whether it is practically, depends on the implementation.

But, I had the following question on my mind: what is the difference
between "distributed exchange" and a transit network between
exchange points? Are we just inventing a new term? Rebranding?

Victor raises an important point: "Open". I think important part of
the discussion will be centered on that.
My definition is that "open exchange points" are basically neutral
facilitators acting on behalf of connecting parties (users=networks).
If two (or more) networks present at the exchange point agree
between themselves to exchange data, the "open exchange point"
does not impose any other restrictions on them. They also
accept any user/network willing to connect - the final
agreement for "peering" (at whichever layer is supported)
is between the users of the exchange.
And I agree, open does not have to mean free.

"Federated" - my belief is that people using this term often
really mean "confederated". To the latter, I can stand.

Cheers,
Artur

--
Dr Artur Barczyk