Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject RE: Re: Some thoughts on policy and governance issues with respect to open lightpath exchange points
From "Wilson, Rodney" <rwilson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:16:26 -0400

This is shaping up to be quite an interesting discussion. But our time during the Internet2 meeting is brief. The definitions are important as we need to reach some common terminologies which are the handles we grab as we carry on to the discussion Bill has proposed.

I suggest we use this forum to get the definition discussions substantially dealt with prior to meeting face to face. If there are strongly held diametrically opposed definitions, we have more worries than addressing optical network allocation, management and governance. If on the other hand it's a matter of semantics let's move quickly on.

Building on Jerry's start, is this the lexicon we need to define. Or are there additional candidates?

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: John Silvester [mailto:jsilvest@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 2:29 PM
To: Victor Reijs (work)
Cc: Jerry Sobieski; Bill St. Arnaud; all@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [GLIF all] Re: Some thoughts on policy and governance issues with respect to open lightpath exchange points

In the light of Jerry's search for definitions, here are my comments,
some perhaps clarifying some no doubt muddying.

We should probably distinguish "exchange" from "exchange point".  The
former can have its own internal topology whereas the latter tends to
imply a single point (place or locus) of operation.  With this
distinction, the term "distributed exchange" makes sense but
"distributed exchange point" doesn't (it is an oxymoron since a point
can't be distributed, can it?)

The goal not GOLE :-)  of an exchange point is to provide a capability
for other entities (usually networks) to exchange traffic where the
interaction between the participants may occur at different protocol layers