Global Lambda Integrated Facility

Subject Re: Reminder: Open Exchange Point Strategies Discussion at Internet 2 meeting
From Cees de Laat <delaat@xxxxxx>
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:50:13 +0800

Hi Bill,

Very good initiative that you take the leadership driving this very important issue forward!

> (a)    Definition of open exchanges

As many of you may still remember my research group @ UVA did a study on this topic back in 2004-2005 to understand what the term "open" in the context of different types of (Inter)net exchanges would mean and what kind of implications it would have technology and authorization wise. Even at this moment my group participates in a study of trust models very relevant also in this context of open exchanges.

Here are some pointers of the work we (mostly Freek Dijkstra and Leon Gommans) did.

Regarding technology and governance of gole's:

Freek Dijkstra, Cees de Laat, "Optical Exchanges", GRIDNETS conference proceedings, oct 2004,http://www.broadnets.org/2004/workshop-papers/Gridnets/DijkstraF.pdf.
http://ext.delaat.net/pubs/2004-c-3.pdf

Freek Dijkstra, Bas van Oudenaarde, Bert Andree, Leon Gommans, Paola Grosso, Jeroen van der Ham, Karst Koymans and Cees de Laat, "A Terminology for Control Models at Optical Exchanges", LCNS, Volume 4543, july 2007, Page 49-60
http://ext.delaat.net/pubs/2007-c-9.pdf

13-feb 2005: Internet2 joint techs, Salt Lake City (USA): "What makes an exchange open?".
http://ext.delaat.net/talks/cdl-2005-02-13.pdf

Also the PhD thesis of Freek deals with this subject in chapter 2:
http://ext.delaat.net/pubs/2009-t-1.pdf

See you in Arlington,
Best regards,
Cees.